Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Day 8: Election Day.



It's true. I didn't.

Before you tar and feather me, and shame me on Facebook, let me just say, that while it was your choice to go to the polls, it was my choice to not do so.

I know I have a voice and I should be proud to have it heard, but honestly, I’m not a fan of politics. Or arguing on national TV. Or public name calling. Or rudeness.

I quietly take in everyone else’s opinions on TV and social media. I never comment. I never judge. Because it’s your right to want to vote, endorse a candidate, and share your views.
  
And honestly, I feel like I saved myself a lot of anger.

Much of what I read was people complaining about a candidate, or making fun of him/her, or getting riled up at his/her views and opinions.

People were made fun of, unfriended, and ridiculed for their choices and for speaking out.

So I stayed silent. Because I knew if I said, “I’m not voting”, that I, too, would have been ridiculed.

I don’t know what to think about this whole election. I have to admit, when Trump started his campaign, I felt like it was all a big game to him. He ran just to see if he could do it. And even in the last few weeks, I expected him to shout a big “JUST KIDDING, AMERICA!” and go back to hosting bad reality TV shows.

A few weeks ago I asked my Dad, who followed much of the campaign, for whom he was voting.

His answer: “I honestly don’t know.”

I know a lot of people who said #imwithher; some of which were truly with her, and others who were simply not with him.

To my Dad, I said: “Forget what their personalities and what everyone is saying about them, who is better suited to run our country?”

Because that’s really what it’s all about at the end of the day, right? Who’s the better leader? Who has more experience? Who will make rational decisions in irrational situations? Who will support Americans?

Based on the little I know, if I were to go out and vote, it would be for Hillary. Because I think she’d be a better leader. Because she’s pro working mothers, and maternity leave. Because I remember when they found Osama Bin Laden and seeing the photos of Obama in the White House with those closest to him, and she was sitting right there, in the thick of it.

It's election day, and just when you think the social media rants would be over, they are actually just starting...once we hear the outcome.

I'll leave you with this meme on sizzle.com that I think sums up the election perfectly:






No comments:

Post a Comment