Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Date Night is not dead.

Before Max made his arrival, Mr. KK and I promised each other that we would still have our date nights.

Date night = a night at home with a fire (outside in the summer, inside in the winter), cocktails, chit chat and catching up, sometimes a movie or a game (I am the reining Scrabble Champion, thank you very much) and a delicious home-cooked dinner.

They are my most-favorite nights.

This past Friday night, we kept our tradition alive.

And I made duck.

This is a big deal, because I only make duck a few times a year. 

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it, but I mostly order it out because it's a pain in the ass to cook because it makes such a mess. So much so, that I only cook it the night before our cleaning lady comes (#firstworldproblems, I know).

MENU
Cocktails
Seared duck breast
Bacon lentils (Emeril's recipe here)
Roasted broccolini
Rioja wine


We were in a beer mood. See that Bourbon County Stout Mr. KK is drinking? That was a FANTASTIC find by yours truly at the liquor store. A little surprise for the hubs.

I got these duck breasts at Stop and Shop; they have them pretty regularly.
Just score the skin with a sharp knife, about 3/4 of the way through (try not to cut into the meat). This allows the skin to crisp up and release all of the fat goodness. 

I never time my cooking, I do it by feel. So I'm always paranoid I'm going to over cook the duck breasts. And every time, I cook them perfectly (sloppy luck). I cook them to a delicious medium rare. (OMG look at the grease on my stove)

The bacon lentils were rich and delicious.
I also roasted some broccolini with garlic and olive oil until it was crispy and tender.

 Date night plus one.



My stove looks like a wreck (sorry, Rosa!) but it was worth it.


I won't even talk about the oatmeal cookies I made for dessert (from the Betty Crocker pouch, people…remember: I don't bake!). Those things are like crack to us. It's embarrassing how many of them we ate. There should be an anonymous program for those cookies. 

But those cookies, warm out of the over? OMG. 

But we're not talking about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment