Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Day 23: T-minus 1 Day until Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving Eve, and probably one of my favorite days of the year.

We host Thanksgiving, so today is my prep day, where I get to start the day at the grocery store (my favorite place), cook for 8 hours, and then end the day eating at a bar.

This year was no different.

After dropping my munchkin off at daycare, with my tea in hand, I hit the grocery store.



Just to get to this milestone took a lot of work. Writing out menus, doing two rough drafts of my grocery list until finally organizing one master list with items listed in order that they merchandised in the store.

Once home, I started cooking. Baking cornbread for stuffing, bringing cream cheese to room temperature for a dip, cooking down cranberries and shredding brussels sprouts.

This year, I listened to my audio book while I diced, sliced and chopped.

I wrapped up the day by making dessert. While I love to cook, I'm AWFUL at baking. There's too much measuring, it's too much of a science. Whereas cooking is about flavors – a little of this, a little of that. It's much more my speed.

When it comes to baking, there are about 5 things I bake well. And my pumpkin cheesecake is one of them. This year, however, I'm trying a new recipe, and keeping my fingers crossed.


And while our situation has changed a bit in the last two years, we still ended today at a bar. With Mr. Max bellied up in his booster seat, eating a grilled cheese and french fries like it was his job.

So on this eve of Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for so much. A day of cooking, our little boy, and wrapping up the day as barflies.


No comments:

Post a Comment