Monday, November 20, 2017

Day 20: This is my dance space, and this is your dance space



First off, the title of this blog is a movie quote.

(Do you know the movie?)

If you know me at all, you should know that the fact that I am even quoting a movie is noteworthy, as I am movie illiterate, unless it was directed by John Hughes, stars Vince Vaughn, has a plot of a guy traveling to meet his girlfriend's parents or tells the story of the little acapella group that could.

(For those of you guessing, that quote is from the classic movie Dirty Dancing, starring pre-nose job Jennifer Grey and a now-deceased hip-shaking Patrick Swayze (may he rest in peace).

In the scene of the movie where where this quote is from, Patrick Swayze is teaching a young (and tempo-challenged) Jennifer Grey how to dance, indicating that they each have their own space for their own moves.

Now that it's getting colder out, and I'm at home working all day, I notice how cold the house can get. I spend much of the day shivering when I leave the office and come into the main part of the house, so most days I'll just wrap a big scarf around my neck and throw a blanket on my legs.

One day Mr. KK came home to me with a scarf up to my eyeballs.

"Why don't you just turn up the heat???" he asked me, incredulous.

Because I don't "do" heat.

I know I sound like a crazy person. 

But there are certain things in the house I just don't do.

Like Dirty Dancing,  I have my dance space - the things I'm in charge of - and Mr. KK has his.

My dance space consists of the following:

  • Food-related activities, such as: grocery shopping, cooking, meal planning and prep, menus for holidays
  • All things clothing: the laundering of the clothing and the buying of new clothing
  • Keeping the social calendar filled: date nights, evenings out with friends, party RSVPs, scoping out beer fests, comedy shows and concerts
  • Gift buying: for events throughout the year and for Christmas
  • Decorating: from framed photos to candles, to wall hangings and rugs. I should probably check myself in to "Lantern Lovers Anonymous"
Mr. KK's dance space consists of the following:
  • Anything outside: furniture, lawn, leaves, dirt, garden, weeding, watering, mowing, blowing.
  • Manning the vacuum: the vacuum and I are not friends. (And yes, I am a very lucky girl that he finds a weird thrill when picking up dirt)
  • Garbage. All of it.
  • Electrical/Light/Temperature for the house: this includes - but is not limited to - heat, AC, stocking wood and lighting the fireplace, changing light bulbs, propane deliveries, furnace service
  • Sweeping. There's nothing my husband loves more than making piles of dirt and dust...from the fireplace, in the kitchen, in the mudroom
The secret to a happy marriage?

Knowing your dance space, respecting the dance space, and staying within your dance space.


No comments:

Post a Comment