Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Day 8: At least I'm wearing pants



A few months ago, in what I can only describe as a monumental life change, I changed careers.

After 12 long years, I left the comfort of the creative agency I had called home - sometimes literally, as there were weeks I would spend so many hours there - and took a new job. 

I was now the new Marketing Director at the surrogacy agency we used to build our family. My work world and my private world collided, resulting in me working each day for something I had a lot of passion and heart for.

My reason for changing jobs was simple: I needed to be present more for my family. 

In my new role, I would be working from home, getting back the 2+ hours I would spend in the car daily commuting to work. We could eat as a family. I was no longer hopping on a plane every other week. And I could participate in daycare drop-off and pick up. And maybe - if I wanted to get a little crazy - I would have time to work out again.

The question I get asked the most since taking on my new role is, "So how is it working from home?"

And here's the honest answer: it's hard.

I don't for a minute regret my decision, but working from home takes dedication (not to mention amazing time management skills). Because as crazy as it sounds, it's hard to stop working.

I remember one Friday in particular, I dropped our son at daycare and was back home by 8:20am. I sat down at the computer and started working. My to-do list was a mile long, and the emails never stopped coming in. The next thing I knew, it was 5:30pm and Mr. KK was coming in the door after picking up our son. 

The minute I spotted Mr. KK, I jumped up off my stool. When you're at home all day, you don't have the pleasure of conversations with anyone, besides yourself and the house plants. I started talking his ear off, and told him, "This is the first time I'm getting up off my stool! I haven't peed since 8am and I haven't eaten anything all day!"

If you can get past the fact that you'll start talking to yourself, a huge benefit of working from home is the dress code. Comfy and casual. Ponytail hair. Make-up free face.

One small glitch in my 24/7 pajama plan: my new coworkers LOVE Skype. As in, VIDEO calls. Meaning, they can SEE ME.

How I appear on the top: hair and make up done, nice top and some days, a statement necklace. Lip gloss if I'm feeling extra feisty.

What I'm hiding on the bottom: leggings, yoga pants and on a "dressy" day: jeans. Chances are I'm wearing slippers. And I'm knee-deep in laundry that needs to be folded.



It can be our little secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment