Monday, May 19, 2014

from blogs to books, some of my favorites

What I love about blogs, and books by authors of blogs, is that it's real life (most of the time). A good majority of my favorite bloggers have made the jump into full-on book-dom. I'm jealous, and inspired*.

If you can translate your laid-back writing style into a book, then you have me hooked. I love that your book reads like a conversation with me. It's refreshing to see you use sentence fragments and start them with the word 'and'. And I'm intrigued how you write all that you do without royally pissing off family and friends (that is the true Holy Grail).

I wanted to share some of my favorite blogs, as well as their corresponding books. Some of these are new, some are not. But they're all fabulous.

Author: Jenny Lawson
Blog: The Bloggess
Book: "Let's Pretend This Never Happened"

Caution: you will laugh out loud (literally) while reading this book. Case in point: I was enjoying this particular read on a plane while traveling with Mr. KK. I got more than my fair share of "that girl is cray-cray" looks from fellow passengers. I was a fit of giggles the entire flight. There is drinking, animal carcasses and hilarity.

Author: Molly Wizenberg
Blog: Orangette
Book: "A Homemade Life: Stories from My Kitchen Table"

This book is a sweet combination of memoir and cookbook. As Molly tells the stories of her family and life, she weaves some of her favorite recipes that helped create those memories. Do not read this book hungry. Molly has a second book called "Delancey" about her and husband opening a restaurant that I have not yet read, but it's on the list!

Author: Jess Riley
Blog: Jess Riley
Book: Driving Sideways

Jess has a few books out, but her first one is still my favorite. Unlike other books born from blogs, this is a work of fiction. It's a sweet story about a girl channeling the stranger whose kidney she received, and then embarking on a mission to find him.

Author: Stacey Ballis
Blog: The Polymath Chronicles
Book: "Out to Lunch", "Off the Menu" and "Spinster Sisters" (to name a few)

Love, love, love Stacey's style of writing. Her books are works of fiction, filled with classic 'chick lit' (and I mean that in a GOOD way) and tasty recipes. Easy reads you'll devour (yes, I went there).

Author: Heather Armstrong
Blog: Dooce
Book: "It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much-Needed Margarita"

Heather is such an engaging writer. I read this book a while ago, but it was funny and poignant. Funny story: Heather started her blog Dooce while working somewhere where she wasn't happy. She wrote about. Her company found out (and read it…all). She was fired. Her full-time blogging and writing career was born. Her book "It Sucked…" is about the pregnancy and birth of her first child, told a from a point of view they don't share on Parents.

Author: Justin Halpern
Twitter: @shitmydadsays
Book: "Sh*t My Dad Says"

So this one's not a blog, but it's social media, so it still counts in my mind. This book was popular a bunch of years ago, but I didn't get around to reading it until last year. In fact, I didn't even read it, I listened it it while driving to work – a great way to make a long commute fly by. I found myself driving more slowly or sitting in the garage so I could listen to just one more chapter. I'm not a big fan of audio books, but this one is GREAT on audio…right down to the voice of his father.

*I'll get there some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment