Thursday, November 19, 2015

Are you going to have another baby? (Day 19)

I'm not a saver. I don't tend to hold onto things, and when faced with cleaning out a closet or a room, will pretty much opt to throw everything away.

But when it comes to Max, I have kept every onesie, sock and toy he has outgrown since the day he was born. His blankie from the hospital. Used pacifiers. Even his magic swaddle sleepy thing that is so threadbare from so many washings. 

I saved it all. 

There are bins upon bins of his tiny little clothes, the jump-a-roo he no longer fits in, and his infant car seats slowly making our basement into a mini maze.

I'd like to say we're saving it all to re-use with baby number two.

But I'm not so sure.

I don't think there are parents on the planet who haven't been asked about their procreation plans.

I'm always amazed at how many people just come out and ask "Are you going to have another baby?" like they are asking me for a piece of gum.

My initial thought is: 'Well, it's not really any of your business, is it?' 

Followed by, 'Are you buying?'

But if I were to answer them, I can honestly say: I don't know.

For a few reasons:

1. It's expensive. Our experience wasn't the norm, and that comes with a hefty price tag. Do they do kick starters for kids? Maybe "GiveMaxASibling.com"?

2. What are the chances I'd have TWO perfect babies? Max didn't have the moniker 'fake baby' for nothing. Slept through the night at 3 months, rarely cries, eats like a champ, has only thrown up once in 13 months. That kind of luck doesn't come around twice in a lifetime.

3. Our house is small. Yes, we're putting on a small addition. But it's just so we have enough room for Max's stuff. Another kid = another addition.

4. Double the guilt. I deal with Mommy Guilt on a daily basis with just ONE child, I can't imagine how it would take over my life with two. Between working full time and my long commute, I'd have to split those few precious hours at home between two little munchkins. And Mr. KK. And Vito.

5. There's something special about 'Only's'. Both Mr. KK and I are only children, and we had wonderful childhoods. I don't think I ever wanted a sibling (a pet, maybe, but not a sibling). We have a bond with our parents that is rare, probably because we spent so much time with them growing up.

On the flip side, I would take another maternity leave in a heartbeat! The best four months of my life.

So for now, I'll keep the plastic bin industry in business, filling them up with memories of baby Max. 
(But knowing our luck, we'd have another baby and of course it would be a GIRL.)

No comments:

Post a Comment