Monday, November 9, 2015

Day 9: A cruel joke would be if my kid was a picky eater.

I love food.

It's pretty much all I think about.

When I wake up I'm thinking about my breakfast and lunch to pack for work. When I get home, I'm in total dinner mode. On the weekends, I'm planning our weeknight dinners so I can grocery shop for – you guessed it – food.

I love to cook, and I love to go out to eat.

Also, I plan all vacations around food. Every vacation is a culinary tour of the area, from the fanciest prix fixe restaurants to the dive bars known for beer and burgers.

I love all food.

And, as luck would have it, we have a kid who LOVES to eat.

His arms and legs start pumping and kicking from the first spoonful to the last. Have you seen his thighs? Our kid can eat

And he eat anything.

These days we're teetering between baby food and big people food, so he has a mix of both. I LOVE making his food of him (yes, I'm THAT Mom), but it's a lot of work. So I try and make big batches of stuff and freeze everything in individual portions. Thank god we have that extra fridge to store everything.

The one downside to making all of Max's food is that he tends to eat the same thing every day for the week. Though, I think this bothers me more than it bothers Max. (Honestly, I'm not sure he notices that he's has the same chicken and butternut squash four days in a row.)

We are yet to find anything he doesn't like (except maybe peas on their own...mixed with something he'll totally eat).

You could imagine our excitement a few weekends ago when we went out for brunch and we ordered food for Max off the menu. I know! BIG day. Granted, it was only a scrambled egg, but he ate that egg with so much gusto, you'd think we served him filet mignon.

The more Max eats, the more I give him new things to try.

Our maiden voyage with pancakes.
I'd say they were a hit.

This weekend's experiment was with soup. Our parents were coming over to babysit for Max (yes, all 4 of them together. we're weird like that), so I made a big pot of soup. I got the recipe for from a friend (Thanks, Stacie!) from the blog "Cooking Classy". 

The soup was Mediterranean Kale, Cannellini and Farro Stew and it was delicious.

So hearty and delicious. 
My son eats kale. How crazy is that???

I took a chance and puréed up some of the soup so Max could try it.

He LOVED it.

Max: "Why are you waiting so long in-between spoonfuls?! 
I want that goodness NOW."

He's now eaten this soup for 3 days in a row for dinner.

Apparently, our son likes kale, white beans and farro. Mushed all together.

Who knew?

(And good for him!)


No comments:

Post a Comment