Saturday, November 28, 2015

I'm fickle that way. (Day 28)

Before we begin this blog post, I wanted to share one of my favorite ways to enjoy leftovers: for breakfast.



I call it: Leftovers Benedict.

You could make it with any leftovers you have, but here's what I use:

Leftover mashed potatoes (shape them into little potato cakes)
Dressing/stuffing (I use my mother-in-law's dressing, which is mainly seasoned ground beef).
I pan-fry the mashed potato cakes until golden brown, top them with the warm dressing, and the top that with an over-easy egg.

Anyway...

As far as holidays go, I'd give Thanksgiving a solid B.

We host, and I enjoy preparing and cooking all day Wednesday, setting the table and making people happy with food.

But once everyone leaves at night, and we've loaded the last of the dishes into the dishwasher, and the leftover turkey is barely cold in the fridge, it's like a switch is flipped and Thanksgiving is dead to me.

I have mentally already moved onto the BEST holiday of the year: Christmas.

I LOVE Christmas.

To quote Andy Williams, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

(Last year I was home with Max on maternity leave, so it really WAS the most wonderful time of the year.)

Once Black Friday is upon us, I'm all Christmas music and holiday shopping. Pumpkins get traded for pine cones, and cornucopias for cookies. I'm all like, "Thanksgiving who?" as I pack away leaves and pull out the stockings.

Because I LOVE Christmas.

I love the hustle and bustle and shopping.

I love that the air smells like snow and the house smells like pine.

I love wrapping presents, and watching people's faces when they open them.

I love the magic and the merriment.

And this year is no different.

Sure, we're under crazy construction, and the new room (that was supposed to be ready for Thanksgiving) won't be ready for Christmas. And we have nowhere to put our tree. And I have nowhere to hide gifts. And nowhere to decorate.

But I still LOVE Christmas.

I can't wait to see Max's face on Christmas morning, as he finally starts to understand unwrapping presents. I anxiously awaiting to see what happens when he sees Santa...will there be smiles or tears?

And I can't wait to surprise everyone again this year, by picking out my tree in under 5 minutes. It takes me longer to pick out my outfit to go and get the tree, than to pick the tree itself. 

But that's next weekend.

In the meantime, it's time to make room for Santa. See ya later, gourds!

No comments:

Post a Comment