Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Day 12: What DO you do all day?

Yesterday, I had my 94-year-old grandfather and my 93-year-old grandmother over for lunch to visit with Maxwell.

My grandfather doesn't hold Max ("I'm afraid I'll break him!"), but my grandmother can't wait to get her hands on him.



I made a big pot of Butternut Squash soup; it was easy and delicious. I made Giada's recipe, and instead of doing the fontina crostini I made grilled cheese sandwiches.

During lunch my grandmother asks me, "What do you do all day?" She didn't ask it with an accusatory tone, she was simply wondering what went down at our house during the daylight hours.

"Well, I wake up and feed Max, and he eats every 3 hours. So I feed him about 5 times during the day. I make and clean bottles…"

My grandfather interrupts and says, "Well, that's your whole day right there."

And you know what? He's right.

It IS my whole day.

I'm such a Type A that it's sometimes hard for me to remember that I don't have to be doing a zillion things at once to have a 'full day'. Taking care of Max is a full day in itself.

I was emailing with a friend this week and she was expressing the same things I was feeling. It's hard to get past feeling 'accomplished' if you're not checking a ton of things off of a list.

While I should be satisfied with saying, "Max and I had a great day together! We took a walk, had playtime, read stories and snuggled!" I find myself instead saying "Max and I had a great day together! We took a walk, had playtime, read stories and snuggled! And when he was napping, I did 2 loads of laundry, made dinner for tonight, wrote a blog post and wrote out 20 thank you notes!" And THEN I will feel accomplished.

But even my 94-year-old grandfather knows the deal. Taking care of Max IS enough…it's my new version of a full day.

I'll learn that, someday. Maybe not in the next 11 weeks, but I will.

Anyway, it hasn't happened yet, so today while Max napped I finally starting changing around my closet, which is still filled with all of my summer clothes. I started with my shoes. At least now my feet will be warm.


Happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment