Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Day 5: We survived the first month!

Well, hot damn! The kk's survived their first month as parents!




Oddly, it doesn't feel like we've been keeping Max alive taking care of Max for a month, however, it feels like a million years since the mayhem of our trip to Georgia (which you can read about here in case you missed it).

Here's what I've learned in the first month of parenthood:

1. No matter what, you will change. I don't mean you'll become a different person (though you might), but things that used to mean something in the past, might mean zilch to you know; and vice versa. 

For example, I used to be a  STICKLER for milk dates – I would NEVER drink milk past the 'sell by' date stamped on the carton. Now, I have been known to turn a blind eye to that date when in dire need of milk for my morning tea. (This happened in the first two weeks; ever since I've been back to policing the milk dates in the house).

2. You will sleep differently. It used to be that once I was woken up in the wee hours of the morning, I was up the for day because I couldn't stop thinking about all of the things I had to do. Now – since every day is a weekend – I fall back to sleep after feedings before my head even hits the pillow, no matter what the time. Also? With a newborn, I'm sleeping later than I ever have in my life. Crazy, right? (More on what sleep looks like in our house here).


Max – yesterday morning – at 9:04am.
Yes, I had to wake him up to eat breakfast.

3. Don't listen to what everyone says about being a new parent. I am yet to "accidentally" eat poop. I haven't left the house with spit up on my clothing. I  only own one pair of yoga pants, so they haven't become my wardrobe staple.

4. Your child is cutest baby on the planet, hands down. No contest.


I mean, COME ON.

5. Babies are time-suckers. For me, this is because I just stop and stare at him for hours. It is amazing just to watch him sleep. Things like lying on a mat on the floor are as entertaining as attending a Broadway Show.


Mommy and Max playtime!

6. You can still enjoy hot home-cooked meals. Now, if you didn't cook dinners before you had a baby, then chances are you're not cooking them now. But cooking was such a HUGE part of my life, and it has only amplified. Part of my daily routine is making dinner for us – it's the time Mr. KK and I can sit down together, catch up and enjoy a cocktail while Max takes a snooze.

7. You can still check stuff off of your to-do list. Hey, babies are portable, right?


He's a built-in moderator for liquor purchases. 
When the top of the carriage is full, it's time to go. 


8. You can still love your four-legged fur babies. You might have to cut their time outside short if you're alone. Or they might not get as many belly rubs as they used to. But you'll find those times when you can snuggle them and remind them how important they are to you as your first born.




Happy One Month, Maxwell!

Hopefully Mommy and Daddy are doing alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment