Monday, November 3, 2014

Day 3: Let's talk about sleep, bay-bee.



I have always been a morning person.

Even in college I was THAT GIRL who would wake up at 6am on the weekends. I would lie in my bunk listening for one of my housemates to stir and go to the bathroom. Then I would lunge out of bed to make my move. I'd enter the bathroom and "coincidentally" bump into her and start a conversation that she would hopefully indulge me in and we could go to breakfast and start our day.

Fast forward to me – one month ago – and not much has changed. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my sleep. My days at the gym and work would just exhaust me. I would hop into bed by 10pm latest, be asleep within ONE MINUTE (no exaggeration), and sleep straight through until my alarm went off the next morning at 5am. I'd get a solid 7 hours in at least (some nights I wouldn't make it past 9:15pm…a trait that's totally cool on the college circuit). 

And now there's me – present day – living in Max's world. As far as babies go, he's fantastic. And best of all, he's an amazing sleeper! (Just like his Mommy!) 

When we first got home from Georgia in that first week, he slept a TON. Rob and I would look at each other like, 'is this normal?' And I'd come back with my perfectly reasonable rationale, 'well, Vito sleeps this much, too'. And obviously if my fur baby sleeps 20 hours a day, it's okay for my human child to, as well.

Turns out, babies that small DO sleep that much. Funny thing, though, they don't know the difference between daytime and nighttime. Probably because they don't have a job, or responsibilities like doing laundry or making dinner. Max sometimes gets confused when it's nighttime. He'll sleep a lot during the day and then when Rob and I are ready to collapse he's all wide awake and like, 'Why is everyone so tired? Let's play and walk around! Hey, can you sing me that song again? The one with the 27 verses???'

 Max at 11am.


 Max at 11pm.

But somehow, I'm still managing to get my 7 hours of sleep in. It's just not all in a row. 

If you add up all of my sleep, I'm getting the same amount I was getting before. Except I'm up for a one-hour stretches in-between. 

And for the first time in my life, I'm sleeping past 7am. In fact, after his 5am bottle, Max and I went back to sleep until 9am! I woke up in a panic; The day is half over! It's so bright outside! I missed all of Good Morning America!

We're all adjusting to our new schedule. And as long as mommy gets her tight 8 hours in each night, we'll ALL be alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment