Friday, November 14, 2014

Day 14: Navigating weeknight meals with a favorite recipe

One thing Rob and I have always done was try to eat dinner together each night. Even when I would work late, he would wait for me to get home so we could sit down together, even if that meant not eating until 10pm. But it allowed us to take a breather from everything around us and catch up.

Now, eating together is a little easier because I'm home, but it can also be a challenge to work around Mr. Max's schedule. I plan dinner around when Max eats and his post-dinner nap, knowing we'll be able to take that hour to eat and chat.

I always like to try new things out for dinner, especially with the extra time on my hands.

However, there are those few dishes that pop up in our dinner rotation every week or every other week because we love them so much.

One of those dishes is Skillet Chicken with Apricots and Capers.

This dish is easy enough to make during the week, but delicious enough to serve when you have friends or family over.

Skillet Chicken with Apricots and Capers
Adapted from "Everyday Food", October 2013
Serves 4




NOTE: this recipe calls for bone-in chicken breasts. I make this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken thighs because, to me, they add more flavor and you don't have to deal with the bones. Up to you!

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper
3 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast (OR, 1 package boneless, skinless chicken thighs – about 6-8 small thighs)
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups Israeli couscous (uncooked)
1/2 cup sliced dried apricots (I use about 1 cup because they add such an amazing sweetness to the dish)
1/4 cup capers
2 1/2 cups chicken broth




Directions:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

In a large, straight-sided, oven-safe skillet (I use my Le Creuset) heat oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes each side (about 3 minutes each side if using chicken thighs). Transfer to a plate. You may need to do this in batches depending on how big your pan is.

Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. 




Stir in couscous, apricots and capers and cook until couscous is lightly toasted (you'll need to keep stirring the couscous so it toasts evenly).




Add broth and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken (skin side up if it has skin) and transfer to an oven (uncovered).




Bake until couscous is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.


This makes enough for 2 to have dinner at night, plus leftovers for lunch the next day.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, love the sound of this recipe. Can I repost to my blog after cooking it? I will have a forward to your post. Let me know.

    Reggie

    ReplyDelete